Information Literacy Instruction Policy
It is the policy of the Evelyn S. Field Library that:
- Classroom instructors must be present during information literacy instruction.
- Information literacy instruction sessions must be requested at least two weeks prior to the requested dates.
- Classroom instructors are advised to avoid requesting sessions during the first two weeks or last two weeks of any semester.
- Information literacy instruction sessions must be requested through the request form located on the library webpage.
- Classroom instructors should contact the Instructional Services Librarian if they will be bringing classes into the building for research. (Or instructors may complete the request form and specify that the class will be conducting research in the library.) This does not reserve any physical space for the class.
- Classroom instructors who sign up for information literacy instruction may also request one additional session of research “lab time”, during which the class may use the library classroom without librarian instruction. Requests for these sessions will not be confirmed until Week 4 of the semester.
- Classroom instructors may request to use the computer lab to provide their own specialized information literacy instruction, without a librarian present, provided that library reference materials are necessary for the instruction and the faculty member has prior approval from the Instructional Services Librarian or Library Director.
Note: The library classroom is an open lab for students to use when there are no classes scheduled. For this reason, only classes meeting the above requirements will be scheduled in the library classroom. The library classroom is not to be used as a computer lab for classes that do not meet the above requirements.
Revised May 2012 by Megan Dempsey