The Evelyn S. Field Library offers electronic reference service to its students, faculty and staff and to residents of Somerset and Hunterdon Counties. In order to obtain this service all patrons must have a Raritan Valley Community College ID card or a library barcode from the Evelyn S. Field Library.
- Electronic reference questions may be submitted on the Ask a Librarian Form available on the Evelyn S. Field Library Web Page.
- Electronic reference mailbox will be checked at regular intervals on weekdays by librarians on duty at the Reference Desk.
- Questions submitted electronically should be brief, factual, focused and specific.
- Questions about use of library systems (catalogs, indexes, databases) may also be submitted.
- Questions that are too broad will be returned to the patron with an invitation to visit the library and to work with the librarian in seeking answers.
- Questions will be handled by the librarian who picks up the question but may be submitted to another librarian based on subject specialization.
- Patrons will receive an immediate electronic confirmation that their question has been received.
- Patron will be contacted by email or phone if clarification of the question is needed.
- Response to the question should be received by the patron within 24-48 hours excluding weekends or holidays.
- Response will be by e-mail or phone. Patron may state preference.
- Response by librarian will state the source of the information being sent.
- Response will NOT include copies of books or articles.
- The confidentiality of the patron will be respected.